NSRC joins advocates for PACT 2012
NSRC members Nan Nathenson, Linda Nelson and Jane Matsui joined their colleagues from the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) for the AARC 2012 Hill Advocacy Day on March 6.
A total of 135 respiratory therapists from 46 states and the District of Columbia, as well as 32 patient advocates, participated in the event. Five patient organizations also joined them: Alpha 1 Association, EFFORTS, COPD Foundation, Alpha 1 Foundation and the Pulmonary Hypertension Association.
Participants scheduled 349 meetings with their Congressional representatives — the most ever in the 13 years PACT has done for DC Hill Day. They gained 11 new House co-sponsors for HR 941, the Medicare Respiratory Therapy Initiative. This would permit RRTs with a bachelor’s degree to work in physician practices without the physician being on site.
- AARC also sponsored a Virtual Lobby Week for the event. Highlights of the week include:
- Created specific Web page for VL Week.
- Linked to our Capitol Connection to send emails.
- Requested emails be sent to Hill prior to PACT Lobby Day.
- More than 12,000 messages sent.
- Template letters for RTs, caregivers of pulmonary patients, physicians, pulmonary patients and at the request of Alpha 1, template letter specifically for Alpha 1 patients to send.