To have your position considered for addition to this site, please send us an email. Postings will automatically be removed after 90 days unless you request an extension.
Certified Respiratory Therapist
Full Time, Days
Req # 1057
Assesses and administer respiratory care while utilizing appropriate therapies to treat patients with deficiencies of the cardiopulmonary system, by prescription or protocol under the supervision of the patient’s medical provider.
Associate Degree: Respiratory Therapy - Required
- Three to six months of experience as a Respiratory Therapist - Preferred
- Certificate, licenses, registrations: NBRC exam & credential of Certified Respiratory Therapist - Required
Primary job duties:
- Adhere to Brodstone Memorial Hospital’s (BMH) Healthcare’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Adhere to Brodstone Memorial Hospital’s (BMH) Service, Excellence & Standards.
- Obtain order from the medical provider: written, verbal, telephone or electronic.
- Transcribe verbal or telephone orders according accepted standards and hospital policy.
- Assess the patient and initiate appropriate medications and therapies as outlined in the appropriate protocol.
- Appropriately prepare the patient for ordered testing. Explain procedure prior to administering the test to obtain patient cooperation and compliance.
- Ensure continuous high quality of care in the following modalities: Ensure continuous high quality of care in the following modalities.
- Oxygen administration.
- Breathing exercises
- Chest physical therapy, manual and mechanical.
- Postural drainage
- Aerosol administration, medication and non-medication.
- Metered Dose Inhalation (MDI) administration.
- Lung hyperinflation techniques.
- Incentive spirometry
- PEP therapy
- Bronchial hygiene techniques.
- Pulmonary function testing to include the following tests.
- Pre- & post-bronchodilator testing.
- Lung volumes.
- Single breath diffusion study.
- Intra-breath diffusion study.
- Mechanical ventilation initiation and management.
- Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation initiation and management.
- CPAP initiation and management.
- ICU management of the respiratory compromised patient.
- 12 lead EKG acquisition.
- EEG acquisition.
- Holter & event monitor placement.
- Pulse oximetry: spot checking, overnight, and/or continuous monitoring.
- Suctioning via the following routes on all patients.
- Airway management with the following devices:
- Self-inflating ambu bag.
- Flow-inflating ambu bag.
- Oral airway.
- Nasal airway.
- King airway.
- Endotracheal tube.
- Respiratory management of the ER patient.
- Perform all aspects of CPR as necessary and maintain certification in Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Be proficient in all aspects of advanced life support, and maintain certification in the following programs:
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP).
- Be proficient in the workings of the Rapid Response Team.
- Collect the following specimens appropriately:
- Flu nasal swab.
- RSV nasal swab.
- Sputum culture.
- Arterial blood gas collection.
- Newborn delivery/cesarean section.
- Exhaled carbon dioxide monitoring.
- Appropriate medication delivery.
- Clean all equipment in a timely manner following use with appropriate cleanser.
- Must attend 80% of all in-services.
- Identify adverse reaction to therapy and consult with the medical provider in the event of an adverse reaction. Recommend therapy appropriate for the patient’s condition.
- Maintain the medical record to ensure completion for services provided and appropriate documentation is completed.
- Monitor the patient’s physiological responses to therapy as outlined in the appropriate policy.
- Ensure proper functionality of equipment prior to use, operate equipment to provide maximum benefit to the patient and ensure cleanliness after use.
- Report any defective or faulty equipment to the Cardiopulmonary Directory in a timely fashion.
- Perform daily checks on emergency equipment on a daily basis.
- Check supplies and restock supplies as needed on a daily basis. Report to the Cardiopulmonary Director or assigned person any supplies that are low or out of stock and need to be ordered.
- Make appropriate patient rounds on all patients requiring cardiopulmonary services.
- Check oxygen and oxygen equipment daily.
- Communicate with the medical provider for all ordered procedures and test results.
- Actively participate in Quality Improvement activities as directed.
- Access Protected Healthcare Information in accordance with Brodstone Memorial Hospital Policy.
- Shall be able to learn and adapt to new technology as it relates to the Cardiopulmonary Department and hospital wide systems.
- Must be able to operate the computer system for tasks including but not limited to charting scanning, order entry, document retrieval. Seek out additional training as needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license to drive the hospital vehicles. Driving records will be examined for approval by the hospital insurance company.
- Must abide by policies and procedures set forth by the Cardiopulmonary Department, Brodstone Memorial Hospital, and both state and federal regulations.
- Must abide by standards of conduct in the compliance plan and participate in ongoing monitoring of activities with respect to compliance, and abides by the Service Excellence Standards.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings/in-services, BMH quality improvement program, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.